You can only imagine why I was interested in Top Secret Recipes Unlocked by Todd Wilbur– recipes of famous food that I can play around with in the comfort of my own home- sweet! January is usually the time where we pull out our resolve to eat more healthfully, exercise more and generally be better people. I have a feeling that this book is like having a little devil sitting on my shoulder, and it has already given the little angel on the other shoulder a beat down and kicked it to the curbThere are many recipes that I am looking forward to testing out for comparison with the original. I was overjoyed to find that they have several recipes from Starbucks listed- my fave being the Lemon Loaf (lemon poundcake). I think I might make that for book club next month and take a few piecs of the original to try out as well.
Candace, Vasilly and Dawn are deprived children this month as they attempt to get through this round of their Game On Diet. But the end of the month is drawing near and I figured that I would throw them a bone and give then something to look forward to on February 1.
Lemon Loaf Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of booking baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
Lemon Icing Ingredients
- 1 cup plus tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions (which I will invariably modify, but I’m giving you the real thing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the loaf, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to blend together the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Add the oil and mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into a well-greased 8 1/2 X 4 1/2- inch loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes , or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Make the lemon icing by combining the ingredients in a small bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. When the lemon loaf has cooled, remove it from the pan and frost the top with the lemon icing. When the icing has set, slice the loaf into eight 1 inch thick slices.
Makes 8 slices.
Other recipes of interest are:
- Nuts 4 Nuts Candied Nuts
- Starbucks Coffee Cake
- Starbucks Carrot Cake
- Popeye’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Popeye’s Cajun Gravy
- The Soup Nazi’s Mexican Chicken Chili
- Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla
There are many others, but since I can’t list the entire TOC, I will stop here.